Honda is more than vehicle design and manufacturing!
Nearly 60,000 fans packed the Georgia Dome to watch top marching bands from America’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) rock the house at the 13th annual Honda Battle of the Bands Invitational Showcase on Jan. 24, 2015.
Watch the 2015 Invitational Showcase sizzle reel here: http://youtu.be/GV9AeO1nbZs
Highlights from this year’s Invitational Showcase include:
- More than 2,100 student musicians took to the field for a memorable mass band performance.
- The Marching Wildcats of Bethune-Cookman University performed at a record tenth straight Invitational Showcase; the Howard University Showtime Marching Band and Talladega College Marching Tornado Band performed for the first time.
- Tens of thousands of fan-produced social media posts using “#HBOB” helped spread the message around the world.
- Ms. Audrey Stradford was named the first-ever Honda Power of Dreams Award honoree for her lifelong dedication to serving HBCU students and the Tennessee State University community, and was awarded a brand new 2015 Honda CRV on the field.
- Honda provided more than $200,000 in grants to participating HBCUs during the program period in support of music education.
- The 2015 theme, “March On,” encouraged student musicians and fans to follow their dreams despite whatever obstacles they may face.
- Fans were treated to an unforgettable performance by hip-hop legends Doug E. Fresh and Slick Rick, and a heartwarming rendition of the national anthem by actress and singer Demetria McKinney.
“Honda congratulates the bands that participated in this year’s Invitational Showcase, and thanks all of the schools, students, alumni and fans who joined us to celebrate these amazing student musicians,” said Stephan Morikawa, Assistant Vice President, Corporate Community Relations, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. “Honda is proud that the Invitational Showcase truly helped students realize what Honda calls The Power of Dreams.”
The following eight bands performed at the 13th Annual Honda Battle of the Bands Invitational Showcase. Each band received a $20,000 grant from Honda for their school’s music education program:
- Alabama State University, Mighty Marching Hornets (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Bethune-Cookman University, Marching Wildcats (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Howard University, Showtime Marching Band (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Jackson State University, Sonic Boom of the South (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- North Carolina A&T University, Blue and Gold Marching Machine (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Southern University, Human Jukebox (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Talladega College, Marching Tornado Band (Gulf Coast Athletic Conference)
- Tennessee State University, Aristocrat of Bands (Ohio Valley Conference)
Honda Campus All-Star Challenge
Tune-in March 21-25, 2015 as Honda hosts the 26th installment of the Honda Campus All-Star Challenge (HCASC) Nationals in Torrance, CA. HCASC is a unique academic competition that celebrates, supports and recognizes academic excellence at HBCUs. Since 1989, Honda has touched more than 100,000 students through HCASC. Learn more athttp://www.hcasc.com/
Connect with Honda Battle of the Bands on Social Media
For highlights, connect with Honda Battle of the Bands on social media using #HBOB.
- Facebook – Facebook.com/HondaBattleoftheBands
- Twitter – @The_Honda / Twitter.com/The_Honda
- Instagram – @The_Honda / Instagram.com/the_honda
- YouTube – YouTube.com/hondabotb
For more information on Honda Battle of the Bands, visit HondaBattleoftheBands.com.