- Acura TLX is third new Acura model to earn highest possible safety ratings from both the NHTSA and IIHS
- TLX is one of only three new midsize luxury/near luxury vehicles to earn top NHTSA and IIHS safety ratings
- Acura brand is positioned for safety leadership with all models expected to achieve an NCAP 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score and IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating for 2016
Acura continues to advance its reputation as a safety leader and innovator with the 2015 Acura TLX receiving a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score, the top available rating in the U.S. government’s New Car Assessment Program (NCAP), including 5-stars in all six vehicle test modes. The Acura TLX performance luxury sedan, introduced in August 2014, has quickly become one of Acura’s best-selling vehicles and is one of only three 2015 model vehicles in the midsize luxury/near luxury category to earn both the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating and the NHTSA 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score.
“The TLX exemplifies how advanced safety performance is an inherent part of how Acura delivers luxury,” said Michael Accavitti, senior vice president and general manager, Acura Division. “Safety is a core value of the brand and all 2016 Acura models are expected to earn top safety scores. When you think of safety performance and luxury, you’ll think Acura.”
Acura anticipates earning top NCAP and IIHS ratings for every model in its lineup for the 2016 model year. The brand currently has four models earning an NCAP 5-star Overall Vehicle Score: the 2015 ILX, TLX, RDX and MDX. The Acura RLX sedan has yet to undergo NCAP testing. Three models also earn a TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating from the IIHS: the 2015 RLX, TLX and MDX.
Innovative Safety and Drive Assistive Technologies
The 2015 TLX was the first Acura model equipped with the exclusive AcuraWatch™, utilizing sensor fusion technology – the cooperative operation of a millimeter wave radar system and a windshield-mounted monocular camera – to expand both the scope and fidelity of the vehicle’s sensing capabilities, including the ability to sense and respond to pedestrians in the roadway and numerous road hazards. Acura is expanding the availability of its AcuraWatch™ suite of advance safety and driver-assistive technologies to all models for the 2016 model year.
Standard and available driver-assistive features in the AcuraWatch™ suite include:
- Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS) with Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow (LSF)
- Blind spot information (BSI)
- Lane Keep Assist (LKAS) with Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Road Departure Mitigation (RDM)
- Rear Cross Traffic Monitor
- Multi-View Rear Camera with Dynamic Guidelines
The TLX also utilizes its next-generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) frontal body structure along with advanced airbags systems – including front, side and side-curtain airbags – to provide a high level of occupant protection in a wide spectrum of collision scenarios.
The award-winning TLX is one of Acura’s best-selling models. Designed to deliver a unique and compelling blend of sports-sedan dynamic proportion, premium luxury refinement and super-handling performance, the TLX is appealing to a broad cross-section of luxury customers with three new powertrains and advanced chassis technologies that respond intelligently to the will of the driver. The TLX lineup features three distinct model offerings that deliver new levels of quietness and ride comfort for a luxurious driving experience.